Shesh-besh: How I learned to stop worrying and play backgammon

Just wanted to share this beautiful documentary, with some enlightening philosophical discussion and scenic portraits of Turkey.

4 Likes

Just finished this (watched it in two parts) and very much enjoyed it. Lots of interesting discussions on backgammon and life. I found the comments on luck and dice (and what you make of it/them) particularly enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

@davidklausa, have you seen Falafels Game? A bit different than the one you posted but a fun watch as well :slight_smile:

The New England Backgammon Club actually has a page dedicated to backgammon in film I recently discovered (Backgammon on Film – New England Backgammon Club (nebackgammon.org)). They have YouTube links to a bunch of cool stuff.

Also, I thought at one point Marc Olsen said they were working on something documentary-like… I think it was regarding (in part) the footage they were taking of Sander at the world championship last year.

I vaguely remember this but nice to see it again. Some classic footage of backgammon in that era. That guy sure was a unique personality. I respect his disdain for cubicle life, and his desire to be the master of one’s own time. He just wanted to stay a kid inside.

I took his 2-day class in New York in 2017, then watched him play money games for $500 a point. I was in a cheaper chouette nearby. I was playing most of the night, but he was still there when I finally went to bed.

I can identify with the thrill of showing up in a new place where you’re unknown, and the locals set out to take advantage of you, and you end up showing them how much they don’t know.

And like Falafel, I went to play big money games in Vegas once and stayed at Brian Zembic’s place. Although I won big, my main takeaway was that doing nothing but gaming would be a sad life.

That NEBC site has it all! I’ll suggest this video I shared, since it’s not on his list yet. Marc Olsen’s productions are high quality so I’d look forward to that too.

Wow. I really enjoyed that video. Thank you for posting it for us.

2 Likes