Players who play with headphones, what are you listening to?

White noise? Ambient music? Classical? Binaural Beats? Metal?

And do you play/practice with the same sounds when at home?

I often practice with music on in the room but not sure what to do/try when I start going to tournaments. I am siding towards just noise cancelling but was curious what others are rocking.

1 Like

I find any kind of music distracting so I just use noise-canceling headphones. They don't do a great job at "canceling" noise, but part of the point is signalling to your opponent that you intend to focus.

1 Like

It varies. But I usually aim for something soothing like lofi beats, electronic, or instrumental music. Lyrics distract me so I tend to avoid anything with vocals.

1 Like

I’m glad you brought this up! When I practice at home I’m (usually) listening to Radio Paradise Global Mix when I’m playing. I (usually) listen to classical music when studying a book. I have the volume relatively low. I’m listening through a Bluetooth speaker as opposed to headphones. My teacher/coach recommends I make my practice sessions as close to competition conditions as possible. I have never played with headphones and fear I won’t hear a comment from my opponent or an announcement from the TD. I might start practicing with headphones.

I like the thought of white noise (I’d choose “green” noise) because it has a grounding or centering quality. However, I sometimes listen to “brown” noise when sleeping and worry a similar sound might make me drowsy! :joy:

I’m interested in what others have to say about this. I know Nick Blasier listens to hard rock/ heavy metal.

1 Like

And, tournament rooms are awkwardly quiet in my opinion. In fact, I think simply stuffing some cheap ear plugs in my ears would be better than the strange quiet of a tournament room and the chatter, etc. I hear in the periphery. If it’s going to be quiet, then I might make it really quiet!

This is one reason I like Radio Paradise Global Mix. Even when a song has lyrics, I can’t understand them so I don’t focus on them. :wink:

1 Like

White noise, rain sounds, distant thunderstorms. Just to drown out noise in the room. Unless it's late in the evening and I need a nice, caffeine-free energy boost, in which case it's probably this song over and over again on repeat.

I have just started learning backgammon and during this time I like to listen to 80s soft rock and pop, and also video game soundtracks composed by my good friend and fellow member of Backgammon Forums @TommyHoudini AKA Tommy Tallarico :slight_smile:

Awesome! Welcome to the forums @michaelmullis.

and also video game soundtracks composed by my good friend and fellow member of Backgammon Forums @TommyHoudini AKA Tommy Tallarico

Any favorite(s) in particular?

So actually Chicago was the first time I tried to listen to music during backgammon, other than online. I typically played songs I am very familiar with so they sound like background noise. This is one of my favorite songs so I started its song radio on Spotify:

IDK if it's called EDM or house or what. In general I think chessbrah-like music fits backgammon well because backgammon has a similar tempo to blitz chess.

I also tried classical music/opera in one match in the BMAB and funny enough my PR was by far the best of the event (3.9 when I averaged 8). Maybe I should take a hint. Certainly classical music fits nicely with ideas such as 'try to improve both sides of the board' and 'make moves that fit more than one gameplan'. That is, it might help with harmonious backgammon.

Or maybe I shouldn't make drastic life decisions such as playlist choice based on 5 datapoints only.

3 Likes

So, looking back at my first tournament experience, I found myself talking too much (on my clock time)... I think in reaction to the discomfort of sitting across a real live human in competitive play? This I am pretty sure has/had a negative impact on my play. I am not sure music is the answer for me, however. I might just try some ear plugs next time to help get/stay in the zone and relieve the compulsion to have friendly conversation.

1 Like

I'm with you on the awkwardness of sitting across from someone chatty and just not talking back to them. Even when I have noise-canceling headphones on or earplugs in, even when I tell them I'm not able to hear them, some people will still chatter away. I don't understand it. Maybe it's an issue to raise with the tournament director, but that introduces even more distraction. I'm starting to get used to it, though. Just know that you shouldn't feel bad not talking if you need quiet; if it's awkward for the other person, that's their problem.

1 Like

Or relatedly ...