Backgammon 101 blog

Hey all, new to the forum. Looking forward to learning from you guys here!

I wanted to share something that I've been working on slowly over the last few months: a "course" for absolute beginners. I think it's perfect for any friends you might have that know the rules but aren't very good and don't know where to start improving.

It's still a work-in-progress, and I'm happy for any feedback you might have. My plan is to eventually compile this into some kind of affordable book for beginners, while always keeping the website free for those who can't afford it.

The link is here: Backgammon 101

Let me know if there are any topics you'd like to see me address! I still plan on going into some more advanced checker play, explaining how the bots work and how to use them to improve, how to adjust to match play, and even a little bit on the history of backgammon.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Welcome to the forum and thanks for contributing :smiley:

I will make sure to check out the link (and make sure to share with friends) and report back.

Thanks for the kind welcome :saluting_face:

I'm an intermediate player, so I don't know that there's anything too deep in there, but given that I just learned this stuff in the last 2 years, the most important lessons are still fresh. I don't think a grandmaster could easily develop a resource such as this one at their current stage.

1 Like

I am a new player as well. I found (find) it all too easy to assume everyone plays at the world class level...

And I agree with your comment. I think this is great to capture (relevant) learnings along the learning journey (vs. looking backwards). Additionally, teaching is a powerful tool for learning as well! Keep up the good work :+1:

My own play has 100% improved thanks to my work on this project. An unexpected bonus :slight_smile: